Achieve Your Ideal Smile With Customized Orthodontic Solutions
Orthodontic appliances have come a long way since the days of bulky metal braces. At Westbury Dental Spa, we offer various solutions to help straighten your teeth and improve your smile. Whether you’re a teenager or an adult, there’s an orthodontic appliance that can work for you. Explore the different types of orthodontic appliances with Dr. Farhana Oza-Chughtai, one of the best dentists in Westbury, NY.
Benefits of Orthodontics
Orthodontic treatment provides a wide range of benefits, including:
- Improved Appearance: Orthodontic appliances can correct misaligned teeth and jaws, resulting in a more attractive smile.
- Reduced Risk of Dental Problems: Misaligned teeth can lead to dental problems such as cavities, gum disease, and even tooth loss. Orthodontic treatment can reduce the risk of these problems by properly aligning the teeth and jaws.
- Improved Bite Function: Misaligned teeth can affect your ability to chew properly and speak clearly. Orthodontic treatment can restore your bite force so you can enjoy your favorite foods
- Reduced Risk of Tooth Damage: Misaligned teeth can put excessive pressure on certain teeth, which can lead to premature wear and tear or even tooth fractures. By correcting the alignment of your teeth, orthodontic treatment can help reduce the risk of such damage.
Types of Orthodontic Appliances
Traditional Metal Braces
Metal braces are the most common orthodontic appliance. They’re made up of brackets and wires bonded to the teeth. Braces apply gentle pressure to the teeth, gradually moving them into the desired position.
Clear aligners, such as Invisalign, are a popular alternative to traditional braces. These virtually invisible plastic trays are custom-made to fit over the teeth and apply pressure to move them into place.
Retainers are worn after braces or other orthodontic treatments to maintain the new position of the teeth. They can be removable or fixed and are worn for several months or years.
Palatal expanders widen the upper jaw to create more space for crowded teeth or to correct a narrow palate. These appliances are typically worn for a few months and are adjusted periodically by an orthodontist.
Frequently Asked Questions
On average, treatment can take six months to two years or more. However, the length of orthodontic treatment varies depending on the individual case. Factors that can affect the length of treatment include the severity of the dental problem, the type of orthodontic appliance used, and the patient’s age and compliance with treatment.
Yes, adults can get orthodontic appliances. More and more adults are seeking orthodontic treatment to improve the appearance and function of their teeth. There are a variety of orthodontic appliances available that are designed specifically for adult patients.
It’s critical to take good care of your orthodontic appliances to ensure the best possible outcome for your treatment. This includes:
- Brushing and flossing daily
- Rinsing with mouthwash between meals
- Scheduling follow-up appointments
- Following your orthodontist’s instructions
In general, most patients will need to see their orthodontist every four to six weeks for adjustments and progress checks. The frequency of appointments with your orthodontist will depend on the type of orthodontic appliance you are wearing and the stage of your treatment. Your orthodontist will provide you with a specific schedule of appointments based on your individual treatment plan.
Discover Which Appliance Best Meets Your Orthodontic Needs
Don’t let orthodontic problems get in the way of your life. At Westbury Dental Spa, our skilled dentists offer personalized orthodontic appliances to help you achieve your best smile. We welcome patients from Garden City, New Cassel, and Salisbury, NY. Call our Westbury office today at (516) 282-5100 to schedule an appointment. You can also book a consultation online by filling out our contact form.