Restore Missing Teeth With Customized Dentures
Losing teeth can be a devastating experience. It not only affects your appearance but also your ability to eat and speak properly. Fortunately, Westbury Dental Spa offers customized denture appliances. Dentures can restore your smile, improve oral health, and boost self-confidence. Learn more about dentures with our Westbury dentists.
What Are Dentures?
Dentures are removable dental appliances used to replace missing teeth. They’re typically made from acrylic resin, porcelain, and metal. Dentures mimic the appearance and function of natural teeth and gums, making them an ideal solution for those with missing teeth.
Benefits of Dentures
Dentures offer several benefits, including:
- Improved Appearance: Dentures can help restore your smile, filling in gaps and creating a natural-looking appearance.
- Better Speech: Missing teeth can affect your ability to speak clearly, but dentures can help improve your speech.
- Enhanced Chewing Ability: With dentures, you can chew your food better and enjoy your favorite meals without discomfort.
- Increased Confidence: Many people who wear dentures report feeling more confident in social situations, as they can smile, talk, and eat with ease.
- Affordable: Compared to other dental procedures, dentures can be a more affordable solution for those with missing teeth.
Types of Dentures
At Westbury Dental Spa, we offer various denture solutions to meet your dental needs.
Also known as full dentures, complete dentures replace all the teeth in your mouth. They can be made of acrylic resin or porcelain and are held in place by suction or dental adhesive.
Partial dentures are used when you have some natural teeth remaining. They’re designed to fit around your remaining teeth and are held in place with clasps.
Immediate dentures are placed in your mouth immediately after your teeth are extracted. They’re a temporary solution while your mouth heals and your permanent dentures are being made.
Implant-supported dentures are attached to dental implants, which are surgically placed in your jawbone. They provide a more secure fit and are less likely to slip or move.
Who Qualifies for Dentures?
To determine whether or not you’re a good candidate for dentures, our Westbury dentists will evaluate your oral health, including the condition of your remaining teeth and gums, and review your medical history.
Some of the factors that may impact your candidacy for dentures include:
- The Extent of Your Tooth Loss: Dentures are typically recommended for people missing most or all of their teeth.
- Condition of Your Gums: Healthy gums are essential for denture wearers. If you have gum disease or other gum issues, our dentists may recommend treatment before proceeding with dentures.
- Bone Density: Our dentists will evaluate the density of your jawbone to ensure that it can support dentures. In some cases, bone grafting may be required to provide a stable base for dentures.
- Overall Health: Your health, including any chronic conditions or medications, may impact your candidacy for dentures. Your dentist in Westbury will review your medical history and work with you to determine the best treatment plan for your unique needs.
How to Care for Your Dentures
Proper care is essential to keep your dentures looking and functioning at their best. Here are some tips for caring for your dentures:
- Clean Your Dentures Daily: Use a soft-bristled brush and denture cleaner to clean your dentures every day. Avoid abrasive cleaners or toothpaste, which can scratch and damage your dentures.
- Rinse Your Dentures After Eating: Rinse your dentures with water after eating to remove food particles.
- Handle Your Dentures With Care: Dentures can be fragile, so handle them with care. Avoid bending or twisting them, and never use hot water to clean them.
- Soak Your Dentures Overnight: Soaking your dentures in a denture solution or water overnight can help remove stains and bacteria.
- Visit Your Dentist Regularly: Regular dental checkups with our Westbury dentists can help ensure your dentures fit properly and identify any issues early on.
Frequently Asked Questions
The most comfortable type of denture will depend on the individual’s needs and preferences. Both full and partial dentures can be made from acrylic resin and flexible thermoplastics. Flexible dentures are often more comfortable as they can adapt to the shape of the mouth and reduce irritation or soreness.
With dentures, you can enjoy a wide selection of foods, but there may be an adjustment period as you get used to eating with your new appliance. Start with soft foods, cut food into small pieces, and chew on both sides of your mouth. Avoid very hard, sticky, or chewy foods that could damage or dislodge your dentures.
In most cases, your dentist will recommend waiting until your gums have healed before wearing dentures. The length of time can vary depending on the individual, but it typically takes four to six weeks for the gums to heal. During this time, your dentist may recommend a temporary or immediate denture that can be adjusted as your gums heal.
Dental insurance coverage for dentures will vary depending on your policy and provider. Some plans may cover a portion of the cost of dentures, while others may not cover them at all. Check with your insurance provider to determine what is covered under your plan.
Take the First Step Toward a Complete, Healthy Smile
Dentures can be a life-changing solution for those missing teeth. With advancements in technology, dentures are now more comfortable and natural-looking than ever before. At Westbury Dental Spa, our caring dentists provide personalized denture solutions to meet your needs.
Schedule an appointment at our Westbury, NY, office by calling (516) 282-5100 or filling out our online contact form. We welcome patients from Hempstead, Queens, and Garden City, NY.